Have a look at the links below for more information and contact details for the relevant organisations that will be able to help you.
- Department for Work and Pensions: Moving to another EEA country
- Directgov: Pensions for Britons living abroad
- Directgov: Claiming (UK) benefits abroad
- Foreign and Commonwealth Office: Going to live abroad
- Foreign and Commonwealth Office: Living abroad
- Your Europe: Workers and pensioners
If you know where you want to retire it’s worth getting in touch with the British Embassy in that country, as they will have access to the local knowledge you need, for example about housing benefits or childcare.
You can also contact a local Europe Direct centre of course. Contact details can be found here.