You are invited to the morning session of ‘Food sustainability and climate change’, a one day event funded through the European Union in association with Europe Direct Leeds, Leeds Museums, Education Leeds Sustainable Schools framework and Leeds City Council. The event is being held in the prestigious Leeds City Museum’s Arena and your community group/organisation is invited to attend the morning session on Thursday 3rd March 2011 from 9.30am-12.30pm.
This event will be of particular interest to anyone involved in sustainability work including sustainable food and drink, growing, recycling, energy, purchasing and waste. Hosting an intergenerational audience, including invited schools, the event aims to encourage lively discussion and debate and will provide ample opportunity for attendees to pose questions to the expert speakers. Panel members will give individual presentations followed by moderated discussion. The principle topics of debate will focus on food growing, waste and sustainability in the context of climate change.
Programme morning session
Presentations and Panel Discussion
- Chair and moderator: Councillor Adam Ogilvie, Beeston & Holbeck Ward, Executive Member for Leisure
Guest Speakers include:
- Linda McAvan, Member of the European Parliament
- George Munson, Senior Climate Change Officer, Environment Policy Team, Leeds City Council
- Jodie Harris, Senior Sustainability Consultant, ARUP
- John Preston, BTCV
- Briony Pete, Waste Watch
- Increased awareness of how to reduce personal impact on climate change
- Increased participation in local food growing initiatives
- Increased awareness of food miles and their impact on climate change
- Agreed list of recommendations for actions on food/environmental sustainability
- Increased awareness of EU policy and action on climate change and Leeds response.
Please could you confirm your acceptance of this invitation by Friday 11th February along with an indication of the total number of attendees. Please note places are limited and offered on a first-come first-serve basis.
Please RSVP gabrielle[dot]hamilton[at]leeds[dot]gov[dot]uk