The European Commission supports a high-profile initiative promoting language learning in the UK. The campaign “Speak to the future” was launched in 2011, and is explained as follows on their website:
Speak to the future – the campaign for languages – is highlighting the importance of languages, language learning and professional language activities for the UK. Targeting the public, media, government and policymakers, we aim to push languages up the agenda, and to bring about a step-change in attitudes and policy.
There are five key objectives:
1) every language should be valued as an asset,
2) all children to have a coherent experience of languages,
3) every child leaving secondary school with a basic working knowledge of at least two languages including English,
4) every graduate should be qualified in a second language,
5) an increase in the number of highly qualified linguists.
So why not give language learning a go and maybe even sign up to our Language Exchange Scheme?